Adsense

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Who is Pokemon Bank aimed at?



In a recent Nintendo Direct, GameFreak announced a new service that will launch alongside Pokemon X and Pokmen Y. That service is called the Pokemon Bank. It is a cloud based storage system that allows you to store up to 3,000 Pokemon in 100 boxes. When I first heard this, I assumed it was aimed only at the type of trainers who have huge collections, and those who EV and IV train their Pokemon into perfection, but maybe I was a bit too quick to judge.

First off, this is a subscription based service, as to be expected of anything dealing with cloud. There will be an annual fee that has been revealed to be only 500 yen, so I would imagine that is around $5 in the US. There will be a trial mode available for those who wish to test it out. In the direct, they talked about storing Pokemon in the bank for years and eventually passing it on to a child or friend. Back when I was PGX, I would have loved a feature like this to store all my eeveelutions. Even before I retired and sold off my Pokemon Diamond game, this could have came in handy. If it existed then, I could have stored my Pokemon in the bank, and eventually transferred them over to X and Y. You see, its not just the collectors that could make use of the Pokemon Bank, but the average trainer as well. If this is to be an ongoing sevice for generations of Pokemon to come, I'd gladly invest a measly $5 a year to keep my Pokemon in safe keeping. Even if you Download the digital version and lose your save data, at least you can keep your banked Pokemon. I forsee people abusing the bank to get all 6 starters in this game. 

So in the end, Pokemon Bank is a great forward thinking idea, that can really add a whole other level of personalization to your Pokemon experience. Seriously, what trainer wouldn't want to pass down his most prized Pokemon to his or her child and tell the stories of all the great battles they had years ago. That aspect alone is tempted me to come out of retirement for one more go at the competitive world of Pokemon. Well, what are your thoughts? Leave your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment